I borrowed this adorable appetizer recipe from Betty Crocker! I adapted the original recipe to be a little healthier and more food allergy friendly. You can make your own custom version and have a fiesta with this fun food idea for Cinco de Mayo or any day of the year!
These are terrific in half-pint jars for parties, too!
5-Layer Mexican Dip in a Jar
- For each half-pint jar:
- 1/4 cup mashed white Cannelini beans (or other bean you choose)
- 1/4 cup salsa (make your own*, or use your favorite additive-free variety)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (omit if dairy-free, or use a dairy-free sour cream substitute)
- 1/4 cup guacamole* (store-bought or homemade)
- Shredded cheese (if dairy-free omit or use a dairy-free “cheese” shred like Daiya)
- Fresh cilantro*
- Additional salsa
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Black olive slices
- *See “Notes” below recipe.
- Layer beans, salsa, sour cream and guacamole in jars, spreading layers as evenly as possible. A long spoon works well for this.
- Top with any or all of the toppings listed.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve cold, room temperature, or for a hot dip, microwave the jars a bit to melt the cheese on top (if using). Microwave in 30-second increments to prevent over-heating.
- Serve with gluten free tortilla chips.
- I love using American-grown California avocados for my simple homemade guacamole. I get my avocados delivered right to my front door from California Avocados Direct! Check them out.
- Check out my method for Preserving Fresh Herbs to cut down on waste when buying bundles of herbs like cilantro.
Get YOUR copy of The Gluten-Free Solution: Your Ultimate Guide to Positive Gluten-Free Living today!
Don’t miss another delish dish! Sign up for my free eNewsletter, the Daily Gluten Free Fix, and have each new recipe and article delivered to your inbox.
While you’re here, browse the Recipe Index for recipes free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts. And be sure to explore my vast collection of “Smart Nutrition Backed by Science” articles in Gluten-Free Updates and check out eBooks in the Shop.
If you’re NEW TO GLUTEN FREE LIVING, click on over to the Essentials.
Access the current issue of Food Solutions Magazine ~ it’s free to everyone!