When I need a quick side dish that nearly everyone (surprisingly!) will devour, this is one of my go-to recipes. The thin slices of fennel become tender in the vinaigrette and the apple pieces balance the salad with a delicate sweetness. To me, you cannot go wrong with tarragon in this vinaigrette, either. It just adds the right earthiness to the salad. I think it gets even better when it has a few hours to chill out in the fridge.
Apple Fennel Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
- 2 cups thin sliced fennel
- 1 medium apple, cut into match sticks
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or your favorite gluten-free vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon honey (or other liquid sugar like agave nectar, pure maple syrup, or omit)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ½ Tablespoon crushed, dried tarragon leaves (fresh, if you'd like, use 1 Tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, tarragon, salt and pepper; whisk until dressing is well blended.
- Add fennel, apple and fennel fronds; toss.
- Chill 1 hour before serving to meld flavors and tenderize fennel a bit.
- Serve chilled.
- For more on fennel and how to prepare and use a fennel bulb, please watch my short informative how-to You Tube video, How to Prep Fennel!
- In the YouTube video for this recipe, linked below, I show you exactly how to make match sticks from an apple!
You might also like Roasted Fennel and Parsnips!