Dairy Free “Buttercream” Frosting
Dairy Free “Buttercream” Frosting is so simple to make!
You simply need a little fat, a splash or two of dairy-free milk, a few drops of vanilla extract and a lot of confectioners’ sugar.
Healthy? No! Delicious Dairy Free “Buttercream” Frosting? Yes! ;)
And when applied to the occasional cupcake, it can be a wonderful thing!
This recipe is adapted from the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe.
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened (room temperature)
- ½ cup dairy-free butter substitute, softened (like Earth Balance; I use soy-free.)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2-4 Tablespoons dairy-free milk of choice (I use unsweetened coconut milk.)
- In your stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), whip coconut oil and butter substitute together until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, mixing in between each addition.
- Add milk, a little at a time, using less for thicker frosting and more for a thinner frosting. Whip after each addition until desired consistency is achieved.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature to use (do not microwave frosting).
- Color as desired with natural or gluten-free gel food safe colors.
Thought you’d like to know…
- For substitutions please see Ingredient Substitutions for Gluten Free Gigi’s Recipes.
Enjoy all the gluten-free recipes I have for you in my Gluten-Free Recipe Index!
Take advantage of the Knowledge Section for articles on Celiac disease and related health issues, as well as information on supplements, food additives, ingredients and more.
It is because of you that I am able to share the free information here for you to use and enjoy. Please consider supporting what I do each day by purchasing from my online Shop or subscribing to my digital ad-free gluten-free living magazine, Food Solutions. It is sure to enhance your gluten-free life!
Thank you for supporting what I do!