Dairy Free Coconut Milk Whipped Topping
This Dairy Free Coconut Milk Whipped Topping is so simple to prepare, and yields a product you can use in place of products like Cool Whip whipped topping or even in place of whipped heavy cream in recipes and on desserts. It does firm up a bit in the fridge during storage if you’re holding it over, so give it a few minutes at room temp prior to using if you aren’t using it as soon as it’s made.
Some readers have had issues with the whipped topping not getting thick. What is usually the issue is the machine used to whip it.
I find a blender works best for this recipe. I have made it in a standard blender and in my Blendtec, with great success; however, I do not recommend using a food processor. (I’m sure a VitaMix would work well, too, based on my Blendtec results.)
And if you’re worried about wasting the liquid portion of the coconut milk, don’t toss it out! You can add it to soups or curry dishes, or use it as part of the cooking liquid for rice, quinoa, or other gluten free grains. It’s also a terrific addition to a smoothie! I store mine in a glass jar with a lid in the fridge up to 3 or 4 days, or I freeze it is I want to store it longer. Try pouring it into ice cube trays and freezing, then add a few cubes to your next smoothie or iced coffee…delish!
- 1 can full fat refrigerated coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen with 14 grams of fat per serving; more fat = better whip)
- ⅓ cup confectioners' sugar (heaping; if you do not eat corn, you can buy a corn-free confectioners' sugar, or make your own.)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chill the unopened can of coconut milk in the fridge before you begin.Give it an hour or two to fully chill. It needs to be cold so the cream and liquid portions separate. When you open the can, the solid portion will be on top.
- Scoop the solid part into your blender. (Hang on to the liquid underneath.)
- Next add the sugar and vanilla and blend on high to achieve a smooth, creamy mixture.
- It only takes a few minutes, start to finish!
Don’t miss another delish dish! Sign up for my free eNewsletter, the Daily Gluten Free Fix, and have each new recipe and article delivered to your inbox.
While you’re here, browse the Recipe Index for recipes free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts. And be sure to explore my vast collection of “Smart Nutrition Backed by Science” articles in the Knowledge section and check out eBooks in the Shop.
If you’re NEW TO GLUTEN FREE LIVING, click on over to the Essentials.
Access the current issue of Food Solutions Magazine ~ it’s free to everyone!