Fresh is always best. Fresh organic, even better. And if you can till up a patch of fertile soil out back and grow your organic fruits and veggies and only use those, that is supremely superior. But, that isn’t always possible, is it? Sometimes, like in the middle of winter, when we want to whip up a batch of homemade salsa, we may resort to opening up a can of diced tomatoes to make this Fast Homemade Salsa in a Pinch.
Guess what? That is totally OK!
Out of season, I love using canned petite diced organic tomatoes for this salsa, but use what is available where you are. And if you have fresh tomatoes on hand, by all means, peel and seed a few, dice them up and use those! That’s what I’ll be doing as soon as our plants are bearing tomatoes this summer. I use about 2 1/2 cups of fresh tomatoes in place of the 28-ounce can (drained).
Either way, this is a quick fix that’s sure to please!
Fast Homemade Salsa in a Pinch
- 28-ounce can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomatillo, quartered
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1 Tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup finely minced cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin, ground
- 1 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add tomatoes, onion, tomatillo, garlic, and pepper to the bowl of your food processor and pulse 6-8 times until all ingredients are reduced in size and somewhat uniform, but not puréed.
- Pour into serving bowl
- Add cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for 1 hour to allow flavors to fully develop before serving with your favorite gluten-free organic chips.
Don’t forget the Guacamole!
Or the Silkiest Smooth Hummus You’ve Ever Had!