Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free) is a basic all-purpose blend that may be used as a cup for cup type blend in most recipes.
This blend was created to be free from gums, which I find largely unnecessary in gluten-free baking, with the exception being yeast breads (you can read more about this in my book, The Gluten-Free Solution).
You can read more about why I avoid xanthan gum in my gluten-free baking here.
Use this blend cup-for-cup in recipes calling for an all-purpose blend. I recommend measuring flour for baking by weight, not volume, for accuracy and consistency. This flour weighs approximately 125 grams per 1 cup portion.
If you prefer to use a store bought blend when making recipes I share here on the site, King Arthur Multipurpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend works very well. I have tested all recipes here on the site with it and they turn out beautifully.
Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free)
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour (you may substitute white rice flour)
- 1 cup tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch)
- 1 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour; see notes after recipe for more)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl; whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Store in a glass container with a tight-fitting lid, at room temperature or in your refrigerator, if you plan to store longer than 4-6 months.
Makes 4 3/4 cups.
Recipe may be doubled to make 9 1/2 cups.