Ready for a dark and stormy All Hallows’ Evening, or a Saturday morning birthday party, these Gluten-Free Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes will dress up any way you like to suit all your chocolate-loving needs.
If you’re looking for a VEGAN recipe, check out my Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes for the dairy- & egg-free option.
Gluten-Free Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup sorghum flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ⅓ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup plain low fat yogurt (dairy- or plant-based; OR substitute unsweetened applesauce for dairy-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (substitute an equivalent amount of prepared egg replacer for egg-free - see Egg Alternatives)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk (substitute ½ T. white vinegar and enough dairy-free plant milk to equal ½ cup total liquid for dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 12-section cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Combine flours and starch, cocoa, soda, salt and sugar; whisk to blend.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir to blend.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until completely moistened.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan; bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with the frosting of your choice or try my No Butter Creamy Frosting or Chocolate Super Food Frosting.
Have fun decorating these cupcakes any way you like! Natural food colorings and sprinkles are available from companies like India Tree and Sprinkelz.
For more Halloween cupcake decorating ideas, check out this post…
Don’t miss another delish dish! Sign up for my free eNewsletter, the Daily Gluten Free Fix, and have each new recipe and article delivered to your inbox.
While you’re here, browse the Recipe Index for recipes free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts. And be sure to explore my vast collection of “Smart Nutrition Backed by Science” articles in Gluten-Free Updates and check out eBooks in the Shop.
If you’re NEW TO GLUTEN FREE LIVING, click on over to the Essentials.
Access the current issue of Food Solutions Magazine ~ it’s free to everyone!
Thanks for stopping by!