Gluten Free Enchilada Casserole
Gluten Free Enchilada Casserole is a simple main dish that is easy to make with or without dairy (cheese would be the dairy ingredient in this dish), depending on your special diet.
If you are dairy-free, simply use your favorite dairy-free cheese, like Daiya brand vegan gluten-free cheese. If you eat dairy products, your favorite cheese is what you’ll want to use in this comforting casserole the entire family will enjoy! Either way, you’ll love it!
Feel free to layer in your favorite cooked veggies, too. for added nutrition. From baby spinach leaves to thin sliced zucchini to sliced mushrooms, the options are deliciously endless!
You’ll want to make Gluten Free Enchilada Casserole for dinner tonight!
- ½ Tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (I prefer grass fed beef. You may substitute another ground protein, like turkey or chicken, if you prefer. Or you may use a gluten-free meat substitute product, if you prefer.)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Several grinds black pepper
- 1½ cups enchilada sauce (Make your own with my recipe for Homemade Enchilada Sauce.)
- 10 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package Gluten-Free Corn tortillas (I use about 20 six-inch tortillas.)
- Grated or sliced cheese or dairy-free cheese substitute like Daiya brand (about 2 cups)
- Garnish: cilantro, sour cream (dairy- or dairy-free), salsa, sliced jalapeno peppers, diced tomatoes, etc. - all optional - use what you like on your Mexican dishes.
- In a large deep skillet over medium heat, warm oil and cook onion until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic; stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add ground beef along with salt and pepper, and brown until meat is cooked through; drain any fat from meat and return meat mixture to skillet, over medium heat.
- To the meat mixture add enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, chili powder and oregano.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- While meat mixture simmers, preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Line sides of dish with corn tortillas, allowing the tortillas to come up over the side of the dish, about 1½ inches. Overlap tortillas slightly in the dish. I use about 4 tortillas for each side and 2 for each end.
- Place 2 tortillas on the bottom of the dish to cover the exposed area where the other tortillas did not cover.
- Remove beef mixture from heat and pour half of the beef over tortillas in dish.
- Top with half of cheese.
- Repeat the layers once more, ending with cheese.
- Place in hot oven to warm through and melt cheese, about 15 minutes.
- Removed from oven and serve.
Enjoy all the gluten-free recipes I have for you in my Gluten-Free Recipe Index!
Take advantage of the Knowledge Section for articles on Celiac disease and related health issues, as well as information on supplements, food additives, ingredients and more.
It is because of you that I am able to share the free information here for you to use and enjoy. Please consider supporting what I do each day by purchasing from my online Shop or subscribing to my digital ad-free gluten-free living magazine, Food Solutions. It is sure to enhance your gluten-free life!
Thank you for supporting what I do!