Gluten Free Kale-sadillas (Quesadillas with Kale, Yellow Squash and Onions)
A healthy twist on quesadillas, these Kale-sadillas are loaded with veggies and your choice of cheese, or a plant-based vegan “cheese” like Daiya shreds (click to re. Either way, you’ll love this healthy twist on Mexican food!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 bunch kale, curly or flat leaf, stems removed, washed and rough chopped
- 1 large (or 2 small) yellow crook neck squash, washed, seeded and thin sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin (ground from toasted cumin seeds for best flavor)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 – 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese or vegan shredded “cheese”, divided for 4 servings
- 8 gluten free tortillas (corn or flour, whichever you prefer; Mission white corn tortillas are gluten free; there are other brands, as well.)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook onion in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add squash; cook 2 minutes more.
- Add kale, cooking until kale begins to wilt.
- Remove pan from heat, sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper, then set aside.
- To assemble quesadillas, place 4 tortillas on a clean surface.
- Sprinkle each with cheese, then a healthy portion of the cooked kale mixture.
- Top with additional cheese, then another tortilla.
- In the skillet used to cook the kale mixture, heat a small amount of oil over medium high heat.
- Cook quesadillas a couple minutes on each side to toast tortillas and melt cheese, adding more oil to pan as needed.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
- Serve immediately.
- Use any veggie combination you like in the quesadillas. For example, sliced red or green bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, etc.
- Instead of cheese or a vegan “cheese” substitute, use mashed or sliced avocado in the quesadillas for a creamy addition!
Don’t miss another delish dish! Sign up for my free eNewsletter, the Daily Gluten Free Fix, and have each new recipe and article delivered to your inbox.
While you’re here, browse the Recipe Index for recipes free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts. And be sure to explore my vast collection of “Smart Nutrition Backed by Science” articles in the Knowledge section and check out eBooks in the Shop.
If you’re NEW TO GLUTEN FREE LIVING, click on over to the Essentials.
Access the current issue of Food Solutions Magazine ~ it’s free to everyone!