Come fall, pumpkin goes into just about everything at my house, and probably at your house, too.
These cupcakes were my birthday cupcakes one year and they did not disappoint. Birthday worthy cupcakes… always a yes!
But they’re simple enough to make any time – basic ingredients you likely already have handy. I like that the recipe is so versatile, too. You can make these cupcakes egg-free, dairy-free, with regular granulated or brown sugar, or you can sub in coconut sugar, which gives them a nice caramel flavor.
Once you get all those important decisions out of the way, you can move on to the fun stuff – frosting! For the big birthday bash, I used my Fluffy Dairy-Free Lemon Frosting, but Dreamy prefers them with the BEST Cream Cheese Frosting Ever with a dash of cinnamon or a sprinkling of brown sugar (pictured). And Ma Petite has her own preference – my Superfood Fudge Frosting for that awesome pumpkin-chocolate combo!
Either way, you can’t go wrong with this simple seasonal recipe!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 2 cups Gigi's Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free) or your favorite gum-free gluten-free all-purpse flour blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup sugar (coconut or brown sugar are nice in these!)
- 1 egg or 1 Tablespoon powdered egg replacer dissolved in ¼ c. warm water (or use your preferred egg-substitute to equal 1 egg)
- ⅓ cup pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned, but not pie filling!)
- 3 Tablespoon melted coconut oil (or other melted fat of choice, like butter or dairy-free butter substitute)
- 2 Tablespoons milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk; use dairy or plant based milk of your choice.)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 12-section cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours, salt, soda, baking powder, and sugar; stir with a wire whisk until blended.
- Add egg, pumpkin, oil, milk and vanilla.
- Stir until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among sections of paper-lined pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean and dry.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Top with your favorite frosting.
Thought you’d like to know…
- For substitutions please see Ingredient Substitutions for Gluten Free Gigi’s Recipes or Substituting Gluten-Free Flours and Starches.