Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Biscuits are the perfect bread for fall! Simple to make and so tasty everyone will love these tender biscuits brimming with flavor.
Pair them with a meal of roasted meat and veggies, or simply enjoy one with your morning coffee or tea – either way, you’re sure to add this recipe to your file!
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Biscuits
- For the Biscuits:
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk (or other milk – dairy- or dairy-free - of your choice)
- ½ Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups Gigi’s Everyday Gluten Free Flour Blend (Gum-free)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Scant ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 Tablespoons dairy-free butter substitute (or an equal amount of butter if you prefer)
- 1 egg (or prepared powdered egg replacer to equal 1 egg for egg-free)
- 1 cup cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potato, preferably fresh roasted
- For the Topping:
- 3 Tablespoons dairy-free butter substitute, melted (or an equal amount of butter if you prefer)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Small amount of coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment or grease lightly.
- Combine milk and vinegar; set aside.
- Stir together melted Earth Balance, brown sugar and cinnamon for topping; set aside. Reserve sea salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pepper and brown sugar; whisk until blended.
- Cut in butter with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine egg, milk/vinegar mixture and sweet potato, stirring until mixed well. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Place ¼ cup scoops of dough 2-3 inches apart on prepared pan and lightly flatten into biscuit shape. Do not over-shape dough or press too hard – it is delicate and you don’t want the biscuits too flat.
- With a pastry brush, gently brush on topping mixture, dividing evenly among biscuits until all topping mixture is used.
- Lightly sprinkle the top of each biscuit with coarse sea salt – a small pinch is all you need here.
- Bake biscuits for 12-15 minutes, or until edges brown and tops are bubbly.
- Serve warm.
Thought you’d like to know…
- You may find Substituting Gluten Free Flours and Starches useful, as well as Ingredient Substitutions for Gigi’s Recipes.
Enjoy all the gluten-free recipes I have for you in my Gluten-Free Recipe Index!
Take advantage of the Knowledge Section for articles on Celiac disease and related health issues, as well as information on supplements, food additives, ingredients and more.
It is because of you that I am able to share the free information here for you to use and enjoy. Please consider supporting what I do each day by purchasing from my online Shop or subscribing to my digital ad-free gluten-free living magazine, Food Solutions. It is sure to enhance your gluten-free life!
Thank you for supporting what I do!