While most traditional mayonnaise is gluten-free, for those of us with an allergy to soy, those “regular” spreads are not an option since most contain soybean oil. There is also the issue of eggs in traditional mayo for those who adhere to a plant-based diet or have an egg allergy. This Healthy Avocado Mayo helps us avoid these issue altogether and provides some desirable nutrition, too!
Note: specialty brands of traditional mayo that are not made with soybean oil or eggs, like Earth Balance Mindful Mayo, are available in many supermarkets.
But if you’re an avo lover like me, you’re going to want to give this quick recipe a try!
Healthy Avocado Mayo
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black peper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons light olive oil
- Combine all ingredients except oil in the bowl of your food processor and blend until pureed.
- You will need to scrape down the sides several times to insure all avocado is pureed.
- When the mixture is smooth, drizzle the oil slowly into the processor while blending.
- Be patient – if you add the oil all at once or too fast, you will not achieve the rich creamy mayo-like texture that you’re looking for.
- Use immediately, or store in fridge for 3-5 days tightly covered.
- It may keep longer, but it never stays around my fridge long enough to find out.