Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter
For those allergic to nuts, this recipe is essential, BUT even if you don’t have a nut allergy, give this one a try!
The key here is to be patient running your food processor. It takes about 10 minutes of processing to achieve the right consistency!
Do not add oil or other liquids to “aid” processing. It takes a minute for the natural oil from the kernels to be released. Once that happens, you will see the sunbutter begin to form. Be patient, it’s worth all this processing time!
I store my sunbutter in a sealed container in the refrigerator. I have stored it for up to 1 week successfully.
- Sunflower seed kernels - raw or toasted are fine; see how to toast sunflower seed kernels
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- Sweetener of choice, optional (I do not add sweetener to my sunbutter; however, you may add a bit of sugar, honey, pure maple syrup, or other sweetener of choice)
- Place the sunflower seed kernels in the bowl of your food processor.
- Pulse until a meal is formed.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Continue to process and scrape down sides until you have creamy sunflower seed butter that resembles the consistency of peanut butter.
- This process takes approximately 10-12 minutes; however, be patient and you will see no added oil or liquid is needed.
Thought you’d like to know…
- The key here is to be patient running your food processor and scraping down the sides repeatedly.
- Do not add oil or other liquids to “aid” processing. It takes a minute for the natural oil from the kernels to be released. Once that happens, you will see the sunflower seed butter begin to form. Be patient, it’s worth all this processing time!
- I store my sunflower seed butter in a sealed container in the refrigerator. I have stored it for up to 1 week successfully.
- I sometimes use half roasted unsalted and half roasted salted seeds; you could use raw seeds as well. The typical yield is half as much sunflower seed butter as seeds you begin with. For example, use 3 cups of sunflower seed kernels for about 1 1/2 cups sunflower seed butter.
Check out the YouTube video here…
Enjoy all the gluten-free recipes I have for you in my Gluten-Free Recipe Index!
Take advantage of the Knowledge Section for articles on Celiac disease and related health issues, as well as information on supplements, food additives, ingredients and more.
It is because of you that I am able to share the free information here for you to use and enjoy. Please consider supporting what I do each day by purchasing from my online Shop or subscribing to my digital ad-free gluten-free living magazine, Food Solutions. It is sure to enhance your gluten-free life!
Thank you for supporting what I do!