Who says it has to be indulgent to taste indulgent? This Red Velvet Smoothie is proof that you can have the flavors of the holiday season without getting off track with your healthy gluten-free lifestyle!
My favorite parts about this smoothie, besides the fact that it tastes so amazing, is that it is dairy-free (you may want to read my article Why You Should Go Dairy-Free and How to Do It) and packed with plant-based protein that is soy-free and nut-free!
In just a few minutes you can have a rich, velvety protein-packed smoothie to help you power through your day!
Rev up that blender!
Red Velvet Smoothie
- 1/2 cup milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk; use your favorite dairy- or plant-based milk.)
- 6 medium fresh or frozen strawberries*, chopped
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons protein powder, optional but recommended for more balanced nutrition*
- 1 – 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (or carob powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- *Optional: Depending on the sweetness of your berries, you may want to add a small amount of your favorite sweetener.
- *See “Notes” below recipe.
- Place ingredients in blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour up and serve immediately.
- I use Growing Naturals gluten-free, vegan rice or pea based protein powder; use what you like or omit.
- Frozen berries yield a thicker smoothie and eliminate the need for ice. If your berries aren’t frozen, you can toss in a few ice cubes.