This recipe is the simplest side dish you’ll ever make! And quite possibly one of the most flavorful. These rich, zesty slow cooked beans are an excellent side to serve with pulled pork barbecue and soft gluten-free naan bread, oven BBQ chicken or even on their own with a piping hot wedge of my gluten-free cornbread!
- 6 cups cooked Cannellini beans (white Kidney beans)
- 1 cup thick, tomato-based salsa (Use your favorite store-bought salsa or homemdade*See “Notes” below recipe.)
- 3 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (preferably ground from whole, toasted cumin seeds)
- 3 strips all-natural artisan bacon, uncured and preservative-free, optional
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker except bacon; stir.
- Top beans with bacon.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 hours.
- For a simple homemade salsa that’s quick and easy when fresh tomatoes aren’t in season, try my Simple Salsa.
- You may also enjoy a side of Skinny Guacamole with these beans.
- Beans are naturally high in soluble and insoluble fiber, which is excellent for heart and digestive health. Read more in my article, “Fiber Facts for Our Gluten-Free Diet“.
Don’t miss another delish dish! Sign up for my free eNewsletter, the Daily Gluten Free Fix, and have each new recipe and article delivered to your inbox.
While you’re here, browse the Recipe Index for recipes free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts. And be sure to explore my vast collection of “Smart Nutrition Backed by Science” articles in Gluten-Free Updates and check out eBooks in the Shop.
If you’re NEW TO GLUTEN FREE LIVING, click on over to the Essentials.
Access the current issue of Food Solutions Magazine ~ it’s free to everyone!