Summertime and ice cream go hand-in-hand. Here in the South, homemade ice cream is a given. Of course, there’s no need to sit on the front porch turning the crank and adding rock salt and ice to the churn on a sweltering Sunday afternoon.
These days, we can whip up a batch of ice cream in a snap with counter top ice cream freezers. I used a Krups model for years, which I loved, but when it lent its last chill a couple years back, I gave a Cuisinart model a try. We’re getting on just fine so far.
With my simple recipe, a mere three ingredients will get the job done.
The best part? Just about everyone on your ice cream social guest list can enjoy this creamy cool treat. It’s naturally gluten-free, but it is also free from dairy products, eggs, nuts and soy. You can call it “Nice” Cream. You can also call it super-easy to make and delicious!
3-Ingredient Vegan Vanilla “Ice Cream”
- One 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk, chilled (not “lite” or lower fat)
- 14 ounces of unsweetened coconut milk, chilled (I just measure mine right in the empty coconut milk can.)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I haven’t tried this with other sweeteners, but feel free to experiment.)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen Massey brand.)
- Pinch of salt (optional, but I prefer it with the pinch of salt)
Extract & salt aren’t counted in the ingredients because these are pantry staple items.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour into your ice cream freezer and process until mixture is thick and “soft serve” consistency.
- For more solid ice cream, spoon the mixture into a freezer container with a lid, and freeze until firm.
- If the ice cream is solid frozen, I like to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften before scooping and serving.
You may also like Vegan Peach “Ice Cream”!