Summertime and ice cream go hand-in-hand. Here in the South, homemade ice cream is a given. Of course, there’s no need to sit on the front porch turning the crank and adding rock salt and ice to the churn on a sweltering Sunday afternoon (can you tell I’ve been there, done that?).
These days, we can whip up a batch of ice cream in a snap with counter top ice cream freezers. I used a Krups model for years, which I loved, but when it lent its last chill a couple years back, I gave a Cuisinart model a try. We’re getting on just fine so far.
With my simple recipe, a mere three ingredients will get the job done.
The best part? Just about everyone on your ice cream social guest list can enjoy this creamy cool treat. It’s naturally gluten-free, but it is also free from dairy products, eggs, nuts and soy. You can call it “Nice” Cream. You can also call it super-easy to make and delicious!
3-Ingredient Vegan Vanilla “Ice Cream”
- One 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk, chilled (I use Thai Kitchen, which has 14 grams of fat per serving. This is important since the fat makes the ice cream creamy. If you use another brand, look for one with an equal or higher amount of fat per serving.)
- 14 ounces of unsweetened coconut milk, chilled (I just measure mine right in the empty coconut milk can.)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I haven’t tried this with other sweeteners, but feel free to experiment.)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen Massey brand.)
- Pinch of salt (optional, but I prefer it with the pinch of salt)
- (Extract & salt aren’t counted in the ingredients because these are pantry staple items.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour into your ice cream freezer and process until mixture is thick and “soft serve” consistency.
- For more solid ice cream, spoon the mixture into a freezer container with a lid, and freeze until firm.
- If the ice cream is solid frozen, I like to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften before scooping and serving.
You may also like Vegan Peach “Ice Cream”!
Don’t miss another delish dish! Sign up for my free eNewsletter, the Daily Gluten Free Fix, and have each new recipe and article delivered to your inbox.
While you’re here, browse the Recipe Index for recipes free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts. And be sure to explore my vast collection of “Smart Nutrition Backed by Science” articles in the Knowledge section and check out eBooks in the Shop.
If you’re NEW TO GLUTEN FREE LIVING, click on over to the Essentials.
Access the current issue of Food Solutions Magazine ~ it’s free to everyone!