With a light crisp exterior, these macaroons remain tender, moist, and chewy inside. They’re sure to please the coconut lovers on your list!
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Pinch of fine sea salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour (you may substitute an equal amount of cornstarch if you do not have tapioca flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until they begin to turn white and foamy.
- Add sugar and whisk into the egg whites until blended and sugar begins to dissolve.
- Add salt, vanilla, and tapioca flour (or cornstarch). Whisk to blend completely.
- Stir in coconut.
- Scoop mounds of batter onto parchment lined pan. Do not flatten.
- For Tablespoon-sized scoops, 15-17 minutes should be enough to bake cookies, but for larger (1/8 cup scoops like mine), you may need 20-25 minutes.
- The outside should be light golden around the edges with the tops just beginning to turn golden in spots when done.
- Remove from the oven and slide the parchment off the cookie sheet and onto a counter to cool completely before removing the cookies to a serving platter. Store at room temperature up to 1 week.
I use a 1/8 cup measuring scoop for 1-ounce (large) macaroons. You may use a 1 Tablespoon measuring scoop for a slightly smaller cookie if you prefer. Be sure to adjust baking time for your cookies according to the size of cookie you make.