With only 4 main ingredients, this dairy-free ice cream is so simple to make, and it’s refreshing, too! The avocado lends that rich creaminess we look for in dairy-rich ice cream and the mango adds a tart-sweet flavor that complements the other ingredients so well.
Give this one a try and serve it along with some fresh mango slices… you will love it!
Dairy-Free Mango-Avocado Ice Cream
- 1 large ripe mango, washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 California avocado*, washed, peeled, pit removed and cut into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, NOT canned (or other milk of your choice)
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar (or other sugar of your choice*)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon dried ground ginger (If you prefer, use cinnamon instead.)
- Dash salt
*See Notes at end of recipe
- Place all ingredients in bowl of food processor or in blender.
- Process until completely smooth (the mixture will be somewhat thick).
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions for making ice cream. (I use a Krups counter top ice cream maker for this.)
- When mixture is the consistency of soft serve ice cream, turn off the machine and spoon into serving dishes or store in an airtight freezer container in the freezer until ready to serve.
- I do not recommend coconut sugar for this recipe; however, if you prefer using honey, pure maple syrup or agave nectar, those will work well.
- If you prefer stevia or an artificial sweetener, please experiment to determine if these products will result in success. I do not use stevia or any artificial sweeteners.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can still enjoy this healthy frozen treat! Simply pour the blended mixture into a freezer storage container and freeze until semi-solid. Stir, then return to freezer. Repeat this process once more, then either serve, or freeze to desired consistency. (The stirring is important as it prevents ice crystals from forming in the ice cream, giving a smooth final consistency, so the more stirring, the smoother the finished product.)