Hot fudge sauce is one of those things you just need a good, solid recipe for. Granted, it doesn’t come up often (at least not in our house), but when we want something drenched in chocolate sauce, we mean for it to be real chocolate with deep flavor. That means, even if it is gluten-free (and some are), those jar so-called “fudge” sauces just will not make the cut.
But that’s OK because in about 5 minutes, I can have a batch of the best hot fudge sauce you’ve ever tasted ready to go. Bonus: It’s totally dairy-free. Even if you’re not, you will love this recipe and turn to it time and time again. If you don’t need to omit dairy from your diet, just sub in regular butter and cream for the dairy-free versions in the recipe and you’ll end up with the same decadent sauce. :)
Also, if you end up getting side tracked (like I do sometimes) when making this sauce and it overcooks a bit in the end, it will begin to “come together” a bit too much. Simply turn off the heat, add 1 T. more honey and stir until smooth. As long as you don’t let it scorch or burn, you’ll be just fine.
Store your leftovers in the fridge once they have completely cooled and you poured them into a glass jar with a lid.
I like this recipe on Dairy-Free Caramel Ice Cream with No Bake Brownie Bites and Banana Split S’Mores Parfaits.
Double Chocolate Dairy-Free Hot Fudge Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk (from a can, the thick portion).
- 2 squares dark chocolate (gluten and dairy free with greater than 70% cacao)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons fat (dairy-free butter replacement or coconut oil)
- 2 Tablespoons honey (or other liquid sugar like pure maple syrup; if you prefer to use another sweetener, please feel free to experiment; however note your results may not be as intended.)
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Boil 3-4 minutes, without stirring; remove from heat.
- Cool in saucepan until mixture is warm before using.
- Spoon over ice cream or other dessert.
If you need dairy-free whipped topping to go with your sauce, check out Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Whipped Topping!