These Gluten Free Belgian Waffles are light and fluffy with rich flavor and if you have a waffle iron that makes deep indentations (one of the hallmarks of a Belgian style waffle), well, you won’t be able to tell these Gluten Free Belgian Waffles from a gluten-filled version.
In the recipe you will find options for dairy-free or dairy-full to suit your individual needs. If you’d like to substitute the egg in this recipe, feel free to experiment with egg alternatives.
No waffle iron? No problem! You can’t have waffles, but you can still enjoy the wonderful flavor of waffles by using this recipe and making pancakes from the batter. Simply spoon ¼-cup portions of batter onto a hot greased griddle or skillet and cook a couple minutes on each side for light fluffy gluten free pancakes.
Either way, I know you’ll love my Gluten Free Belgian Waffles recipe! (Don’t forget to top your waffles with my Dairy-Free Cinnamon Honey Butter!)
Gluten Free Belgian Waffles
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk; use the dairy-free or dairy milk of your choice.)
- ½ cup sour cream (Use dairy-full, dairy-free or substitute an equal amount your favorite dairy or dairy-free plain unsweetened yogurt for the sour cream. I do not recommend a 0% fat product, but you’re free to experiment with what you like.)
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter, dairy-free butter substitute, coconut oil or other oil of your choice (You will end up with a richer flavor by using butter or dairy-free butter substitute.)
- 1 ¼ cups Gigi’s Everyday Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Gum-Free) or similar gum-free blend
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (Use granulated white, brown or coconut sugar; a liquid sugar like honey, agave nectar or pure maple syrup will work, too. Or you may omit sugar if you prefer. If making savory waffles, definitely omit sugar.)
- Oil for waffle iron
- Brush the waffle iron with oil and heat according to manufacturers’ directions.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg; add sour cream; whisk again until smooth.
- Pour melted butter over egg/sour cream mixture and whisk until fat is incorporated.
- Add milk and whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar; whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter onto hot waffle iron until all batter is used.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturers’ recommendations.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings: fruit, cream, dairy free whipped topping, pure maple syrup, honey or my Homemade Cinnamon Honey Butter (dairy or dairy-free option).
- You may also enjoy using these waffles for savory sandwiches – simply omit the sugar in the recipe and cook as directed, then fill with your favorite sandwich fillings!
- For flour/starch subs: Substituting Gluten-Free Flours and Starches.
Some posts contain affiliate links for products I use and believe readers may benefit from using. If products are purchased via those links, at no extra cost to you, I receive a small commission. This helps keep the content I share free to you. For more, please see the full disclosures page.