Ready for a dark and stormy All Hallows’ Evening, or a Saturday morning birthday party, these Gluten-Free Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes will dress up any way you like to suit all your chocolate-loving needs.
If you’re looking for a VEGAN recipe, check out my Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes for the dairy- & egg-free option.
You can make this recipe with the applesauce called for, or you can substitute pumpkin puree if you’re feeling all fall about things. :) Either way, the flavor is great and the chocolate really hides it, so whatever you have on hand or prefer is just perfect!
These are also perfect for making this fun holiday treat at Christmastime!
- 1 cup Gigi’s Everyday GF Flour Blend (Gum-Free) or similar gum-free blend
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa (I use Valrhona.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (I use this brand.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce OR pumpkin puree (both work equally well)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen Massey extracts.)
- 1/2 cup milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk from a carton; use any milk you like to use in baking.)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 12-section cupcake pan with paper liners. I use these for best results.
- Combine flour, cocoa, soda, salt and sugar; whisk to blend.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir to blend.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until completely moistened.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan; bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with the frosting of your choice or try my No Butter Creamy Frosting or Superfood Fudge Frosting.
For more Halloween cupcake decorating ideas, check out this post…