Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce is a cinch to make! For those of us who must live gluten-free, it is essential, too, if we want to enjoy hearty Mexican dishes without the risk of gluten contamination. That’s because most enchilada sauce you purchase in a can contains wheat flour (for thickening), not to mention far too much sodium and other additives.
Of course, this homemade version is so easy to make, it’s no worries for us! And it is fantastic in my Gluten Free Enchilada Casserole.
Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon dairy-free butter substitute (or real butter if you eat dairy)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 Tablespoons [url href=”http://www.glutenfreegigi.com/gigis-everyday-gluten-free-flour-blend-gum-free/” target=”_blank”]Gigi’s Everyday GF Flour Blend[/url] or similar GF blend without gums
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or other stock of your choice; use vegetable stock if you prefer.)
- 14 or 15 ounce can or jar of organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried chipotle pepper, optional
- Before you begin, have the flour, whisk and the chicken stock beside the stove top so they are handy, as you will need to work quickly to make a roux as the base of the sauce.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, warm butter and oil over medium heat.
- When butter is melted and oil begins to sizzle gently, sprinkle flour into the pan, whisking the entire time to prevent lumps from forming.
- As soon as all the flour is whisked into the fat, begin slowly adding the stock, whisking all the while as you add the liquid slowly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Increase the heat slightly to medium-high.
- Whisk and cook the mixture about 2 minutes. It will thicken as it cooks.
- Add tomatoes and seasonings.
- Whisk and cook 2-3 minutes more over low heat.
- Remove from heat and cool to store for later use, or use immediately.
Try Gluten Free Enchilada Casserole for a quick and easy family meal everyone will love!