Bursting with the vibrant flavor of fresh oranges and naturally sweet coconut, these creamy Healthy Orange Coconut Bites will satisfy your sweet tooth without sacrificing your healthy whole foods way of life. With only 4 simple ingredients, you can have a batch of these sweet bites ready in no time!
Healthy Orange Coconut Bites
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon zest from the orange you’re juicing
- ½ cup finely grated unsweetened coconut (I use organic.)
- 2 Tablespoons organic local honey
- ½ cup coconut butter, melted (do not overheat or it will burn; this is NOT coconut oil; see Notes below for more)
- Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Begin with all ingredients at room temperature.
- Combine juice and zest from orange, coconut and honey in a mixing bowl; stir.
- Add warm coconut butter and quickly stir until mixture is smooth and becomes thick. (It will be the consistency of semi-stiff cookie dough.)
- Scoop 1 – 1½ inch portions of dough and shape into balls.
- Place the balls on prepared cookie sheet and chill about 20 minutes prior to serving. (Do not freeze or the bites will become too hard.)
- Keep leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container.
- Makes approximately 14 bites. (Recipe may be doubled.)
- Coconut butter is not the same as coconut oil. Coconut butter is made from the meat of the coconut. When you think of this product, think of it as you would a nut or seed butter. You can eat coconut butter as you would a nut or seed butter. It has a coconut flavor since it is made from the coconut meat. It is very rich, creamy and can vary depending upon brand and the temperature at which it is stored. Some coconut butter is smooth and creamy, some is rock solid in the jar, and still other brands I’ve used have been solid and crumbly in texture. That’s ok… if your coconut butter is solid and/or crumbly in the jar, simply heat it gently for a few seconds. Be very careful when heating coconut butter, as it burns very quickly. Microwaving can create burnt spots, so I recommend very low heat on your stove top in a small saucepan or a double boiler.
- SUBSTITUTIONS for ingredients in this recipe: I am not offering substitutions for the ingredients used in this recipe, as they all work together to yield a desired outcome. If you do not eat coconut, skip this one. Of course, as always, feel free to experiment and have fun in your own kitchen!
AIP Christmas Recipe Party!
This recipe was shared on the Little Bites of Beauty AIP Christmas Recipe Party.