If you prefer avoiding additives, dyes and refined sugar in foods, you’ll love this recipe that shows you how to Make Your Own Ketchup with All Natural Ingredients! It’s so simple to make and tastes delicious, just like the “real thing”, only better for you, with ingredients like sweet, nutrient dense Medjool dates instead of refine white sugar or corn syrup and a few flavorful spices and seasonings to give it just the right amount of tang to balance the sweetness of the dates.
Whip up a batch and store it in glass bottles or jars in your fridge for a better-for-you condiment that tastes great on burgers, dogs, fries and in recipes calling for ketchup!
- 1 1/2 cups water PLUS 1/2 cup additional water
- 6 Medjool dates, pit removed and halved
- 1 Tablespoon onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Six-ounce cans organic tomato paste
- 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar (use apple cider vinegar or another type if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch allspice
- Combine dates and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until dates are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Keep the saucepan handy, you’ll use it again in a moment!
- Puree dates in food processor or blender, along with onion, until completely smooth.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons of the additional 1 1/2 cups water to make processing easier, if needed.
- Return the date mixture, along with all remaining ingredients, to the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Stir the mixture periodically; do not boil.
- If the mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Store ketchup in glass jars with a tight-fitting lid for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Makes approximately 4 cups.