In the interest of transparency and full disclosure, please know that I received complimentary services from Massage Heights for the purposes of this review, however, I am a MH member and use therapeutic massage as a regular means to maintain my overall health. I am sharing this post in hopes it will bring benefit to some of you.
If you follow along here, you know natural, preventative measures for wellness are top priority to me. Restoring my health solely with food and a holistic regimen nearly a decade ago, I continue with this approach to maintain The Machine (my body) at peak performance.
My background in neuroscience and natural products research means only fact-based approaches make it into my regular routine. One area I pay special attention to is something you can’t even see – my lymphatic system.
The Lymphatic System plays a Direct Role in Immune Health
It is a complex network of organs, nodes and numerous ducts and vessels in the body and shares a close relationship with the immune system. Lymph health is important to anyone, but especially those of us with immune disease (like celiac disease, diabetes, thyroid disease, etc.).
In a nutshell, this intricate system produces and transports a clear fluid (lymph) throughout the body, bathing our cells, providing them with nutrients and oxygen and also picking up unwanted substances like fats, bacteria, and other negative materials to filter them out of the body.
Have You Read My Article about How Improved Lymph Function Aids Weight Loss?
I’ve written about how improving lymph function can help you lose weight, and in that article I share several ways to boost lymph function. One of those ways is via therapeutic massage.
Improve Your Health in 1 Hour per Month
Before you say massage is a luxury you don’t have time to indulge in, stop and go read that article on lymphatic health!
As for being too busy, I keep a rigorous schedule, but time for myself is essential to maintain balance in my life. There is always one HOUR in a MONTH for ME. Taking that time to relax, focus on my entire body and center in my health is one way I am able to handle my intense work schedule writing for several publications, editing a food magazine, developing recipes for this site and for clients, and working one-on-one with individuals who need specialized help with their holistic health journey. Not to mention, I home school high school and travel like a nomad! :-)
I know you’re busy, too, and that’s why I’m telling you about my massage retreat. If you’re in Georgia or one of 21 other states (plus there’s even a retreat in Alberta, Canada) you can locate a retreat near you here.
At my location, Massage Heights Johns Creek, a professional and friendly staff are waiting to Elevate the Everyday™ for you! Joe, the owner, is a delight and so particular about a flawless experience for every guest. I adore Joe, and he won’t mind me telling you he brags about the sheets! He should, too, because they are luxurious 600-thread count cotton.
It doesn’t stop at silky smooth sheets, though. From the time you enter the front door, it’s transformation time! The sounds and scents are soothing and peace wraps around you. The experience is truly 5-star!
You Should Know This about Massage Heights Johns Creek
Before I share details about my favorite treatments and my retreat experience, I want you to know a few things:
- I was shocked at how “single entity” Massage Heights feels even though there are locations throughout the USA. The personal touches, attention to detail and pride the owner and staff take in their retreat is unmatched.
- The massage was truly therapeutic. We’re not talking a simple shoulder rub with some fancy lotions. My therapist, Nathalie, was clearly knowledgeable about her profession.
- If you’re not having facials at any age, you are cheating yourself. Again, this isn’t a “quick fix” look better for a day or two experience. My skin consultant, Hita, expertly assessed my skin (judgment-free!) and explained the “why” behind every treatment she performed (more on this later).
- A massage and/or facial experience at Massage Heights is NOT an unattainable luxury that you can’t afford (in time or in money). The affordability will shock you, especially once you become a member.
My Favorite Massage: One-Hour Swedish Massage with Hot Stone Elevation and Aromatherapy
After a pleasant and efficient check-in with the retreat manager, Julia (who is an absolute doll, beautiful inside and out!) and a cup of lemon and mint-infused water, your therapist escorts you to your massage room. From the moment you step inside, tension falls away. Soft lighting, earth-toned décor and flowing background music surround you. Any trouble areas you have are addressed before treatment begins (this is always my neck and shoulder area since I’m at a desk writing daily), then you select an aromatherapy scent (I love Breathe!) and enjoy a full hour (or 90 minutes, if you like) of therapeutic bliss. You can read more about Swedish massage and other massages offered here.
Members enjoy complimentary aromatherapy and one elevation treatment with a one-hour massage. Elevation options are a reviving foot scrub, a revitalizing face massage and the Hot Stone Therapy elevation. I opt for the Hot Stone Therapy elevation since I get a facial, too.
My Facial of Choice: One-hour Custom Facial with a Skin Enriching Facial Elevation
Transferring from your massage room to your facial treatment room is a simple stroll down the hall in a fluffy robe. Refreshing lemon water awaits to keep you hydrated. Every treatment is preceded by a brief consultation with your therapist to make sure you are getting exactly the treatment you need on that visit.
Once you tuck into those phenomenal sheets on a heated hydraulic treatment table, your skin is gently cleansed and evaluated. The process varies slightly depending on the facial you choose. Hita is a skin expert like no other! She focuses on addressing immediate concerns but as she evaluates and treats your skin, she mentally develops a plan that will achieve all your treatment goals in a timely manner.
As with massage, members enjoy perks like complimentary aromatherapy and an elevation treatment. My pick is the Skin Enriching Facial Elevation. When Hita told me I would feel the firming effects of this non-invasive, gentle treatment for days after my facial, I was a little skeptical, but she was so right. The difference in my skin was noticeable!
So while I continue to enjoy the benefits of my recent treatments, I’m already looking forward to my next visit to Massage Heights!
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your next visit:
- Clear your calendar for a sufficient amount of time on your treatment day. You don’t want to go in frazzled and rushed or leave stressed because you have so much to return to. Plan ahead and give yourself time to really reap the therapeutic rewards of your massage and / or facial.
- Arrive about 15 minutes early to your appointment to check in, settle in and begin relaxing before treatment.
- Wear comfortable clothing to your treatment. You will change into a spa robe before your services begin, so comfortable, easy to change into /out of clothing makes this easy.
- Do not use any out-of-the norm products (like a new product, a mask or other “intense” treatment) on your face or body on the day before or day of treatment. You don’t want to irritate your skin prior to your services.
- Allow yourself to fully relax and clear your mind during your massage and / or facial. You deserve this break from the routine and this opportunity to restore your well being.
- Make time to relax once your massage and / or facial are complete. Especially after therapeutic massage, I am conscious of hydrating with pure water and allowing my body time to relax and rest afterward.
Now, what are you waiting for?! Locate the Massage Heights nearest you and schedule some time for your health. And if you visit my location, be sure to tell them Gigi sent you!