Quinoa is a terrific high-protein nutrition-packed food to add to your gluten-free diet, so this slow-cooker main dish makes an excellent meat-free meal! It makes use of quinoa flakes, not whole grain quinoa, so you get a smoother texture in the finished dish, which I find an appealing change of pace. You can learn more about quinoa nutrition here.
Slow Cooker Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 medium bell peppers, washed and dried
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces EACH) organic diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (or use an appropriate egg alternative)
- Cut tops only off peppers to remove stem and expose inside of pepper.
- Remove the seeds and white membrane from inside peppers. Seeds and membrane can be discarded.
- Set the peppers aside and prepare your slow cooker by turning it on high.
- Add the 2 cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce, and 1 teaspoon of the Italian herbs and garlic to the slow cooker. Stir.
- In a mixing bowl, combine quinoa flakes, onion, mushrooms, water, eggs, 1 teaspoon Italian herbs, salt, <strong>and 1 cup of the tomato mixture from the slow cooker.
- Stir filling ingredients until well-blended.
- Divide filling evenly between the 4 peppers, filling nearly to the top. The mixture will puff slightly when it is cooking.
- Carefully place the filled peppers in the tomato sauce in the slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until filling appears dry on the top and peppers are fork-tender.
Thought you’d like to know…
- You can make your own Italian Herb Blend!
- Learn more about quinoa on a gluten-free diet here.